24 March 2009

Oy Vey! Jewpardy

These are Shabbat candles given to me by my brother & sister-in-law many years ago, depicting Jerusalem's Wailing Wall and Temple.

Passover (Pesach) is just 14 days away, Oy Vey!! Families everywhere are preparing for Seders where 10-20 people will cram around a dinner table to answer our traditional Four Questions, especially “Why is this night different from all other nights?” In the meantime, children will wonder where the Afikoman will be hidden & who will be the first to find the treasured matzoh?! I have always enjoyed the 2nd Night Pesach Seders in my Temple, where a mix of very young & old come together to participate in our age-old traditions and the children learn new things from the elders about Jewish history. Jewpardy is a great game for kids to play online to get them ready for Passover. It is a Jewish-style Jeopardy game where kids (of all ages) can answer questions like “How many days was the plague of darkness?” Or “How many days are we commanded not to eat leavened food?” I admit that I have become an addict and I am sure to be ready this Pesach with inquiries that extend beyond the Four Questions this holiday.

BTW, the answers to the above questions are: the plague of darkness was three days & we must abstain from leavened bread & food for seven days.