22 August 2008

The Old Line State

Maryland my Maryland. What an amazing state. Of course, I am biased since MD, DC & VA have all been home for me. The great thing about the state just below the Mason-Dixon line is that you can go from the beach to the mountains in just a few hours. That is why it is so exciting when we go home for a visit. This time I walked away with some additions (lots of fleece) for my winter wardrobe from my Calvert School. Everyone in the family purchased a few Calvert items, so our desks will be filled with pennants, mugs, books and mouse pads, while our closets will be graced with shirts, fleece pull-overs and hats. Annapolis, our capital, is one of the best places to go in Maryland. My sister, LeAnita, and I spent the day there walking around the state capitol building and through all of the historic neighborhoods. During our walk we met a lot of people, including two presidential candidates and an adorable little dog named Schatze, who had the cutest personality. I wanted to scoop her up and take her home with me. The NAVY Academy has a beautiful dome on their chapel that lights up at night. And needless to say, there are some beautiful historic homes and Bed & Breakfasts to see too. At the end of the day, we dined on crabs (of course) and ended our evening with a small concert by actor Terrence Howard, who made his musical debut in Maryland’s capital city. Terrence was supposed to sign autographs after his show, but he quietly left the building, leaving 50-60 fans in a lurch, waiting for him for about an hour.