24 July 2008

Raglan Castle, located in Monmothshire Wales is one of my favorite places in the world! But then again, I am obviously biased. This is my majestic palace and after many years, I finally had the opportunity to go inside. It was very overwhelming & I actually cried a bit when I walked through the large gate doors near the main Tower. After many years of researching my Ragland roots, someone told my father about this castle and for many years I wanted to see it in person. Originally spelled “Rhaglan” this Welsh aristocratic home was the last medieval castle built in Great Britain and was destroyed during the English Civil War during the mid-1600s. Driving through Monmouthshire, it was very exciting to see signs for Rhaglan/Raglan-even the GPS system showed Raglan! Across from the castle is Raglan Village, which has a church, pub, restaurant, petrol station, golf course, Farm Shop and more. The townspeople certainly made me feel like a celebrity once they knew my last name is Ragland. At a local restaurant, a councilman took a photo with me because he had only met one other Raglan/Ragland/Rhaglan in his life and that person actually lived in Wales. What a thrill to sit in the restaurant eating fish & chips with mashed peas while people approached my table to say hello to the “Ragland”. It was one of the best experiences of my life & I cannot wait to go back to my other home and visit my “little house” in the Welsh countryside. <