16 September 2010

1980s Wake-up Call

I was up very early AGAIN this morning (4 a.m.) and decided to turn on the TV to pass the time. To my pleasant surprise, I stumbled upon a rerun of Miami Vice. Like many my age, I watched this show religiously! I still have my Miami Vice board game in the attic.

It was interesting taking such an early morning stroll in my mind through my favorite decade. I remember when my mother bought my first computer, which was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. We connected the computer to our large television screen (the one with the adjustable rabbit ears) and saved the data on a cassette tape. When we wanted to play video games, we turned to our Intellivision system, which was introduced to the family by my brother who wanted a game system a bit more advanced than the already popular Atari. Though nothing could compete with Atari Space Invaders... ...with the exception of Galaga in the arcade. When it came to television, "way back in the day",original MTV programming was top priority. The 1980s was a time when MTV defined music television and they actually featured music videos and not some of the cheesy shows they currently broadcast. Who remembers this Dire Straits favorite?

I thought about my favorite movie from that era, St. Elmo's Fire,

and my favorite band, Genesis. During the 1980s, we traded in our metal strap-on roller skates for a niftier and more sleek blade- What a nice way to kick-off the morning, though I would have preferred to wake up at 8 a.m. instead of four. After all of my reminiscing, I think I will actually set my ihome tomorrow to Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go."