09 November 2012

Birthday Tea at The Adolphus


   I never truly celebrated my 40th birthday last year in Dallas. My North Shore friends and sister in Illinois gave me a stellar birthday dinner in Wilmette, IL, but with all of my traveling during the Halloween season last year, I did not have the opportunity to blow out the candles, Texas-style.



My friend, Lisa, decided to play hostess this year. Unfortunately, she is from the East Coast and Hurricane Sandy had alternative plans for her! Instead of flying in for the birthday tea she had planned at The Adolphus Hotel  in downtown Dallas, she ended up preparing her home for the worst...which was virtually untouched after the storm, thank goodness!


I like the ambiance of The Adolphus with its Old English motif. 




I saw this sweater in a catalog about six months ago and my sister gifted it to me this year. I felt it  would be the perfect attire for our afternoon tea.


                             
 The setting was beautiful and was located in the lobby of the hotel. There were two other parties of ladies having afternoon tea that day, but each of us had an intimate setting and felt as if our group was the only one there.

We began the brunch with a champagne toast.
              I was fortunate to have my mother visit for the month from Maryland. (She is on the left in tan and black). She had to extend her trip by a few days because of Hurricane Sandy.



 We then enjoyed various teas and a four-course serving.
My friend Casey took this photo.

We spent the entire afternoon catching up...  

sharing stories...

                                              and noshing.




Our tea captain sliced a very preppy cake with a personalized topper from "the preppy debutante."



I had a fabulous afternoon! 


We may decide to make our afternoon tea a monthly event. Thank you for such a wonderful time, everyone!



Rikki Ragland the preppy debutante