30 June 2011

Georgia On My Mind

Atlanta is my second home. I know, I am consistently told that I have MANY different homes & it causes much confusion. As a child, my mother, siblings and I were aboard Amtrak as soon as school was out, and headed to Atlanta for the summer.

We returned to DC/Maryland (I lived in both places) right before school started in the fall. Once my grandmother passed away, we often traveled north instead. As an adult, I currently live in both Texas and Illinois and DC will always be *home* for me. Hopefully that makes it a little less confusing for those who hear me call multiple places my home away from home. We spent the past week in my childhood "home away from home," going to Atlanta for a long overdue Peyton family reunion. I don't know what I was thinking, planning a reunion for nearly 40 people from around the country while caring for an 8 month old! I can say, however, the reunion was a great success and one of the best ever (patting my own back).
While in Atlanta, we stayed at the Georgian Terrace, an historic hotel on Peachtree Street (everything is on Peachtree!) across from the famous FOX Theatre.


The Terrace is on the National Register of Historic Places and played host to the premiere gala of Gone With the Wind in 1939. The FOX was designed in the late 1920s as the headquarters for the Yaarab Temple Shrine Mosque. When one arrives to the Georgian Terrace, one of the first faces to be seen is Anthony at the door. He is more than fabulous! Anthony truly sets the pace for your stay at such a wonderful place. Anthony treats everyone to VIP service, especially the Terrace's littlest customers.

Stand in the lobby and look up.

Or down from the 17th floor.

It is a bit dizzying, but a very cool aspect of the hotel. Our suite had a kitchen, which is a great thing to have when you are schlepping a baby with you. You can see the bottles, binkys and bottles of baby water in some of these photos. Clearly, the baby runs everything, no matter if we are at home or on travel.

The only drawback to the suite is the bed. We have not slept in a Queen bed (and I really think this was a double) in a long time, so not much room was to be had for sleeping.

I did enjoy having his & her walk in closets and the 17th floor view was awesome. In my next entry, we will check out our stop around the corner at a Southern kitchen that opened during 1945. The shrimp grits come with a back rub! Stay tuned.

with preppiness,