02 June 2008

Surgery is a Success!

Meeting Senator Kennedy while on holiday in Maine. The senator told us where to find his favorite Chowder House-for New England clam chowder of course, not Manhattan. After 3.5 hours in the OR, Senator Kennedy’s surgery was a success, according to his neurosurgeon, Dr. Allan Friedman at Duke University Medical Center. His next step is chemo & radiation to shrink what is left of the tumor. My favorite neurosurgeon on TV is Dr. Sanjay Gupta. He describes Kennedy’s treatment plan on his blog: Paging Dr. Gupta Above is a photo of the day I met Senator Kennedy in Maine. I had just graduated as a Mass Comm/PoliSci major and was asking him about KSG (Kennedy School of Government). At the time I was studying to apply to KSG for a Master’s in Public Policy. During this conversation I found myself asking him for the opportunity to work in his office instead. The senator was absolutely amazing & I ended up working in his office assisting his counsel. I spent much of my time researching technology & education issues. It is one of the best experiences I have had. One of my favorite memories is of Senator Kennedy’s dog, Blarney, running around the office in the Russel Building. Working in his office set me on a great path-especially as a political news reporter.