18 January 2009

Sundance Day #4

One of the greatest aspects of Sundance is that we have the opportunity to watch the stars watching themselves on the screen during the movie premieres. We had the chance to sit two seats behind Jenny McCarthy & her long-time boyfriend Jim Carrey as he saw himself in his premiere, “I Love you Phillip Morris,” also starring Ewan McGregor. In the movie, “I Love you Phillip Morris,” Carrey plays a very dedicated church-going man who loves Jesus, his wife & little girl. He sings in the choir and is dedicated to his family until one day he realizes that he is gay. His antics as a con-artist land him in a Texas prison (consistently), which is where he cultivates a very intimate relationship with McGregor. During the screening, Jenny McCarthy was whispering to Jim Carrey, especially during some of his more intimate scenes on screen with Ewan McGregor. When the movie ended, she gave him a huge hug & kiss before he took the stage to answer questions from the audience. This is one of the best ways to view a film-while sitting near the stars who are often watching themselves in the movie for the first time before it is released. I do not know if this film will be picked up in the mainstream theaters or if it will go directly to HBO. I do know that Carrey earned me as a fan in this film. I usually avoid his movies, because I’m not too keen on his extreme humor, but I give this one a thumbs up. Ewan McGregor was EXCELLENT in this movie & very believable in his role. He is an amazing actor and gave a great performance.